1. Sign the petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/chuckphelps/
2. Write a letter asking Bob Jones University Administration to remove Chuck Phelps from the board.
- Bob Jones University, 1700 Wade Hampton Blvd, Greenville, SC 29614
- See a list of administrators and other board members to write here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/71215504/Bob-Jones-University-2011-2012-Board-Members
- Thanks to this blog, I know we need to adjust the plan for contacts at BJU.
3. Write a letter to churches that you know support Bob Jones University and ask those pastors to speak out against this travesty. (List of supporting churches coming soon)
- The Articles that control how the boards work at BJU are set up so that a limited number of people really have any control: "In short, the chancellor and chairman of the board and his most trusted cronies are the ones with all the power. They decided they loved Chuck enough to bring him back in the middle of a scandalous trial that exposed Chuck's penchant for equivocation and self-contradictory statements, and they're the ones who would have to decide whether or not to chuck him out now. Applying pressure on BJU's employees and administration is good, but what about the old white guys who really matter?"
- Here is a list of men that really control this decision. Please contact them:
PLEASE still contact the administration, other board members and pastors you know that will be concerned about this, but also urge them to contact the men that control the final outcome of the decision.
- Mr. Bob Jones III, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Larry Jackson, email@example.com His bio is here: http://www.jacksonmg.com/services/bios/larry-jackson/
- Dr. Walter Kirk, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com Walter Kirk is also on the board of directors for the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship International (FBFI) and pastors Trinity Baptist Church (705 Crane Creek Road, Salisbury NC 28146, Phone: 704-639-1436, IFB church)
- Dr. John Lewis, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com pastors Faith Baptist Church in Davidson, MI (7306 E. Atherton Road, Davison, Michigan 48423, Phone: 810-653-3573, IFB church with an attached Christian school). I find this name particularly interesting because John Lewis was the pastor back in the 70's, 80's and part of the 90's at Harvest Baptist Church and Harvest Christian Academy on Guam. I attended that church and school my last two years of high school. I witnessed abuse there. Family members experienced abuse there. I still have contact with former students that experienced abuse there. There was a lawsuit at some point that required Harvest to stop "spanking" students. It doesn't surprise me in the least, given my own personal experience with John Lewis, that he would agree to have Chuck Phelps on the BJU board. John Lewis shouldn't be on the board either, in my opinion.
- Dr. John McLario, firstname.lastname@example.org Now retired, he started a law firm in Wisconsin. McLario has ties to Bill Gothard and was part of a 1970's controversy involving members of the Bob Jones University board that were Masons. Dr. Roland Rasmussen who later had a falling out with Bob Jones, confronted McLario on whether or not he was a freemason.
- Mr. Ralph Matthews, email@example.com CEO of Matthews Industries in Decatur, AL (Phone: 256-353-0271)
4. Call Bob Jones University to express your disapproval of this action.
- Bob Jones University Alumni Association is on twitter so you can tweet from your own account with a link to the petition and tag BJU by adding @BJUAlumni to your tweet. When you use Twitter, use the hashtag #RemoveChuckPhelps (with no spaces or other punctuation than the # symbol)
- ABC 20/20 is on Twitter. Post the petition link and add @ABC2020 and #RemoveChuckPhelps to the tweet
- Elizabeth Vargas is on Twitter. Post the petition link and add @EVargasABC and #RemoveChuckPhelps to the tweet
- Comment on Bob Jones University's Facebook wall
- Comment on Elizabeth Vargas' Facebook page where she did the last update of Tina Anderson's story -- when Ernie Willis was found guilty of rape.
- Comment on ABC 20/20's Facebook page either on the discussion board or on the last update post 20/20 put up after Willis' sentencing.
6. You can comment on Elizabeth Vargas' web page - She is the journalist that did the interview of Tina Anderson and other survivors from IFB churches in Shattered Faith.7. Contact Media Outlets
- Media Outlets in Indianapolis, IN
- Media Outlets in Greenville, SC
Note: Back-ups for articles can be found on Scribd if they disappear from the internet.